I haven’t posted any recipes for a while so here is one of our favourites. It sounds quite fancy but is very fast and easy to cook, also delicious and filling. Because who said camping food has to be only burgers and hot dogs or, in our case, veggie burgers and veggie dogs? We discovered this recipe works very well on the last day of camping. This way we can use up all the leftover vegetables in our cooler before heading home.
Makes 4 servings
– 1 package of fresh gnocchi (1 lb)
– 2-3 cups of cut vegetables (zucchini, sweet peppers, mushrooms, broccoli, spinach and whatever else you have left in your cooler)
– 1 cup of any tomato sauce (you can add some more depending on the amount of vegetables you are using)
– 200 g of goat cheese (can be substituted for any other cheese you have)
– vegetable oil
– salt, pepper, garlic flakes, Italian herbs (if you have any)
– Cook gnocchi according to package directions.
– While the gnocchi are cooking, put all the vegetables (except for spinach) into a deep pan, coat in oil, add salt, pepper, garlic flakes and herbs. Roast vegetables over the fire (you can cover the pan with foil but that makes the whole stirring process more complicated so usually we don’t bother). If the fire is not available, they can also be stir-fried over a camp stove. Make sure to stir often.
– When the vegetables are almost done (test with a fork, they should be soft but not mushy), add gnocchi, tomato paste, spinach (if you are using it), and cheese, mix everything and let it bubble for a few more minutes until the spinach wilts and the cheese melts a bit.
Finally, serve and enjoy!